Call for Applications to the National Astrophysics and Space Science Programme (NASSP) at UKZN in 2016
NASSP is currently offered at three university nodes in conjunction with other partner universities: University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN), University of Cape Town (UCT), and North West University (NWU Potchestroom Campus). The NASSP programme at UKZN in 2016 offers a B.Sc. Honours and an M.Sc. by Research.
NASSP offers attractive bursaries for both Honours and Masters students. The students shall also be covered for their medical aid, travelling costs from their home country, participating in the NASSP summer school.
NASSP B.Sc. Honours Course Structure at UKZN in 2016
- Classical ﬁeld theory (16 credits)
- Fluid dynamics (16 credits)
- Special Topics A (16 credits) : Computational methods with a mini project related
- Special Topics B (16 credits) : Ordinary differential equations/Applied Mathematics module
- Plasma physics (8 credits)
- Space physics (8 credits)
- Cosmology (16 credits)
- Project (32 credits) - Either in Astrophysics or Space Physics
NASSP M.Sc. Degree at UKZN in 2016
Currently, UKZN offers an M.Sc Degree by research (100 %). The student shall be assigned to a supervisor and/or co-supervisor for directing the research work (either in Astrophysics or Space Physics).
On behalf of the NASSP consortium you are invited to apply for the NASSP Honours and Masters programmes in Astrophysics and Space Science.
· Complete the UKZN application form at http://applications.ukzn.ac.za/Homepage.aspx
· Full Curriculum Vitae giving permanent address and telephone/fax numbers, date of birth, full names, nationality, educational history up to present date, employment history (if any) up to present date, details of computer systems and software packages used to date, details of research publications (if any) up to present date.
· Names, addresses, fax numbers, telephone numbers and e-mail address (if possible) of at least two
referees who can comment on your academic ability, suitability for postgraduate study, and also give a confidential personal evaluation of your sense of initiative and computer literacy.
· Undergraduate academic transcript showing marks for each course taken in each year. This should be a
photocopy of the original, but the photocopy should have an original stamp certifying that it is a true copy of the original transcript. Certified copies of transcripts of any subsequent postgraduate qualifications should also be included here.
· If you are applying for the Masters programme also include a certified copy of the original degree
certificate (and any subsequent qualifications mentioned above).
· A letter of motivation, outlining why you choose to apply for a place on the NASSP, what your long- term career aspirations are, and how you think the successful completion of the NASSP will benefit those aspirations.
UKZN supports applications until 25 January 2016 for the NASSP Honours and Masters programme in 2016.